Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Disappointed or Thankful



Some days this time of year are sunny, beautiful and idyllic in the suburbs.


Other days are cold, rainy and windy, like today. The Canadian weather can change really quickly.



I had a meeting with my Women’s Connect group on my schedule this morning. I was ready to head out the door when I had this thought that I should check my e-mail one more time. I open my e-mail account and find out that the meeting has been cancelled due to the storm. My first thought was: “Noo, I was really looking forward to this meeting.” We’ve discussed a lot of interesting topics during our weekly meet-ups so far, what to do when you are broken, mad, discontent and scared in life. Today we were supposed to discuss what we can do when we are feeling overwhelmed in life.

As I was hanging up my coat in the closet again I looked outside my window and suddenly felt very thankful rather than disappointed. It’s very cold, rainy and windy out there today and I’m aware that there are more than 5000 people in this city who are homeless. Ever since I came to Toronto I’ve felt really bad about the homeless situation. Last year I had a relative who ended up temporary homeless for a while, which brought the problem even closer to home.




I want to do something to help the homeless at some point, I’m just not sure what yet, so for now I do what most of us do, I try to give these people some money or food when I see them. It’s not much, it’s not enough, but I know it all starts with feeling troubled by a situation. First we have to let ourselves get truly upset about a situation, then action will follow. My husband is my great inspiration in this area, he has already helped two homeless people off the street in his life. You can’t help everyone, but you can do something for someone.

As I stand in my window and look at the storm and rain outside I feel deeply thankful for my warm home and the warm sweater I'm wearing today. I know that all that I have has been given to me so that I can help others in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment