Monday, September 28, 2015

Finding Your People





I’ve been a Christian for about eight years now but I haven’t been that connected to other Christians before these last two years. During my first five years as a Christian I wasn’t even going to church, mostly because I hadn’t found any church in my region that fit me. I personally think it’s important to pick not just any church but a church where you feel comfortable, safe and loved. All people are different, one person might love a small church where everyone knows each other, while another person feels more comfortable in a large church where you can meet many different types of people.

At this point in my life I’m so happy that I’ve found a couple of different churches in our region that I love being a part of and visit every week. This week I joined a new connect group for women at church where we will be doing an eight-week-long Bible Study together called “Stuck” by Jenny Allen. I’m amazed at the group of women who I get to do this connect group together with, they are all brave, humble and loving women.

It was wonderful to see that the environment in this women’s connect group is so loving, safe and encouraging that many people already opened up about their struggles with different types of loss and pain during session one. We got to hear stories of women struggling with being stuck in fear, emotional eating, domestic abuse, infertility issues, stuck in feeling worthless and stuck in the past. I’m so excited to see how God will use the next eight weeks to help each woman who is taking part in this connect group get free from what is holding her back in life.

It’s so beautiful when life works the way it’s designed to work, when you see people coming together in a close community opening up about their struggles and encouraging and lifting each other up. As I watched this group of women open up about different types of pain and loss in their lives and saw everyone respond with love, gentleness and encouragement toward each other I felt thankful to God for leading me to this connect group.

I think it’s very important to find your people in life, people who you can trust and who will be there for you when life gets though. Sometimes we think that we are better off alone but the truth is that we need other people, but not just any people, we need to surround ourselves with good people to be able to stay healthy in life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment